Thursday 15 September 2016

Camp MERC Recount - Stack 'em High

Camp MERC Recount
Stack ‘em High

Filled with energy, I was quickly bobbing up and down in my seat, waiting for my turn for Stack ‘em High (The best activity at camp). While watching the others I was grinning widely. I had to put on my harness because it was almost my turn, which I could hardly wait for. Then it finally came.

Connecting me to the ropes was our instructor, Gus. I had seen so many pictures of other people doing Stack ‘em. It was the activity I so longed to do. I was jiggling a bit and smiling to myself.

After putting my helmet on, I finally stood on the first crate. That was easy. I stood on another and another and another. Eventually I reached.. 5? That’s when my legs started to wobble, and the crates did the same. I was passed the next crate by my parent helper and I stood on it. That was 6.

Aswell as all the other kids and our parent helper, my teacher was watching me. After making it to 7 my legs were moving so much. I had no idea how I made it to 7 crates. Other kids only got 5 or 6, and they weren’t as scared as I was.

With my legs still like jelly, the crates kept shaking. I didn’t know how long I could have kept this up. My teacher was still watching me. She said that I should just concentrate on the crates and trick my mind to stop thinking about how scared I was.

Trying to do what she said, I put my 8th crate on. I was so proud, but my heart was racing. Knowing that my parent helper, who was passing me the crates, couldn’t reach me anymore made me more scared. I don’t know why.

After standing on the 8th crate I was freaking out. Like, really freaking out. I was then passed the 9th crate. That was when my legs were really becoming uncontrollable. I stood on the 9th crate, swayed quickly and the crates were tumbling over like dominos.

After being lowered to the ground I was unclipped. I became alot calmer, and I was taking really deep breaths. I took my harness of and admired that I got to 9 crates! 1 crate away from the 2016 Camp record! It really was the best activity at camp.

My Reflection:

I have been learning to write a 'Show don't Tell' recount. Our class talked about everything your body does when your excited, relieved, angry, scary, nervous, brave and sad. We brainstormed how your body reacts to feelings. For this recount, we chose 1 activity from Camp MERC and wrote down what we did, how we felt, and how our body reacts to it. For example: Scared- Legs shacking. We then started drafting. After finishing we had to highlight all the parts of our recounts that make the reader work out how we are feeling - how we 'Show don't Tell'.

No comments: